Jim Amrine, Bob Noel, Harry Mallow, Terry Stasny,
(Last Updated: December 30, 1996)
1. Keep essential oils out of reach of children. Do not leave a bottle where a child could take off the cap and consume contents.
2. Do not use directly on or near the eyes. Most diluted essential oils will sting the eyes; if accidents happen, flush with clean warm water.
3. Avoid contact of concentrated essential oils with the skin; they can be absorbed through the skin and result in toxic reactions. Wear rubber gloves when mixing concentrated oils into grease patties, canola oil, etc.
4. Never assume that an essential oil will have the same properties as credited to the whole plant from which it is obtained.
5. Ingestion of any essential oil should only be undertaken under the supervision of a professional health advisor and never exceed the recommended amount.
6. Excess of essential oils can cause headaches, nausea and general feeling of uneasiness; drink plenty of water, get freash air, take frequent breaks.
Questions or comments please contact:
James W. Amrine, Jr.
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences,
P. O. Box 6108, West Virginia University
Morgantown, WV 26505-6108 USA
Back to: Results of Research - Using Essential Oils for Honey Bee Mite Control