Example Career: Musicians, Instrumental
Play one or more musical instruments in recital, in accompaniment, or as members of an orchestra, band, or other musical group.
What Job Titles Musicians, Instrumental Might Have
- Horn Player
- Orchestra Musician
What Musicians, Instrumental Do
- Practice musical instrument performances, individually or in rehearsal with other musicians, to master individual pieces of music or to maintain and improve skills.
- Perform before live audiences in concerts, recitals, educational presentations, and other social gatherings.
- Specialize in playing a specific family of instruments or a particular type of music.
- Play musical instruments as soloists, or as members or guest artists of musical groups such as orchestras, ensembles, or bands.
- Sight-read musical parts during rehearsals.
- Play from memory or by following scores.
- Listen to recordings to master pieces or to maintain and improve skills.
- Teach music for specific instruments.
- Provide the musical background for live shows such as ballets, operas, musical theatre, and cabarets.
- Audition for orchestras, bands, or other musical groups.
- Make or participate in recordings in music studios.
- Promote their own or their group's music by participating in media interviews and other activities.
- Transpose music to alternate keys, or to fit individual styles or purposes.
- Direct bands or orchestras.
- Arrange and edit music to fit style and purpose.
- Improvise music during performances.
What Musicians, Instrumental Should Be Good At
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
What Musicians, Instrumental Need to Learn
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.