Sing songs on stage, radio, television, or motion pictures.
What Job Titles Singers Might Have
- Gospel Singer
- Singing Telegram Performer
What Singers Do
- Memorize musical selections and routines, or sing following printed text, musical notation, or customer instructions.
- Sing as a soloist or as a member of a vocal group.
- Perform before live audiences, or in television, radio, or movie productions.
- Interpret or modify music, applying knowledge of harmony, melody, rhythm, and voice production to individualize presentations and maintain audience interest.
- Practice singing exercises and study with vocal coaches to develop voice and skills and to rehearse for upcoming roles.
- Sing a cappella or with musical accompaniment.
- Observe choral leaders or prompters for cues or directions in vocal presentation.
- Make or participate in recordings.
- Seek out and learn new music suitable for live performance or recording.
- Compose songs or create vocal arrangements.
- Collaborate with a manager or agent who handles administrative details, finds work, and negotiates contracts.
- Learn acting, dancing, and other skills required for dramatic singing roles.
- Research particular roles to find out more about a character, or the time and place in which a piece is set.
What Singers Should Be Good At
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Singers Need to Learn
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.