April 26, 2023
The Great Day
The Great Day is part of our commitment to make college more affordable for you!
Submit an essay for a chance to win 1 of 20+ $1,500 scholarships or a meal plan package valued at $2,000. Winners will be announced Wednesday, April 26 during The Great Day. Essays must be more than 100 words and fewer than 250 words.More Details
Special Campus Tours
Our Visitors Center will be offering special campus tours for The Great Day. Your adventure starts at our Downtown Visitors Center. You’ll make stops around campus and, afterward, you’ll head to the WVU Bookstore for some special surprises, including exclusive chances to win scholarships, book scholarships and more!
Space is limited, so register early!Morning Tour Afternoon Tour
Join us on Wednesday, April 26 for an evening filled with special prize giveaways (including a dining plan, Adventure WV trips, Mountaineer Maniacs memberships and more!) in real-time social media challenges. Stop back closer to The Great Day for contest details, and make sure to read the terms and conditions and our FAQ.
Check back on April 26 for all of the details!
Submit an essay for a chance to win 1 of 20+ $1,500 scholarships or a meal plan package valued at $2,000.
Winners will be announced Wednesday, April 26 during The Great Day.
Students can submit up to 3 essays. Essays must be more than 100 words and fewer than 250 words. Students must be an incoming freshman for summer/fall 2023 to enter.
Essays must be related to one of the following 12 essay prompts:
- Meal Plan Contest: Can you tell us about a food that has a special meaning or memory for you? How has this food influenced who you are?
- Our Mountaineer values are service, curiosity, respect, accountability and appreciation. Choose one and tell us how you plan to use it while earning your college degree.
- If you could create a globally celebrated holiday, what would it be and why?
- How do you define success? What does a successful life look like to you?
- Humans are always evolving. What is one significant experience that has helped shaped your identity thus far and why?
- WVU believes that everyone has a purpose. What do you believe your purpose is and how do you plan to further reach it though higher education?
- How do you feel about social media? Do you think it has had a positive or negative effect on your generation?
- If you could make one improvement within your state, what would it be and how would you implement it?
- What is the best advice you have ever received and how does it apply to you?
- What current fact about your life do you think would most impress your younger self?
- Describe to us a time you felt like an outsider looking in. How did you overcome this challenge?
- FirstGen Question**: What's one thing you want to tell your future self, four years from now?
The winner of the meal plan will receive a Go13 plan valued at $2,000. All other topics enter students in our $1,500 scholarship contests. Scholarships will be spread ($750) over two semesters.
In order to quality for the FirstGen essay prompt, students must fit our definition of first-generation. We define first-generation as:
- If neither of your parents or guardians completed a four-year degree from a college or university within the United States.
- If your parents earned an associate degree.
- If you live with only one parent or guardian who provides all your support, and that person doesn’t have a four-year college degree.
- If you have a sibling that earned a two-year (associate) or four-year (bachelor's) college degree, but your parents did not complete a four-year degree.
Winners will be notified on The Great Day – April 26, 2023. Winners will have 24 hours to accept their award.
Read terms and conditions and FAQ.
Need more details? We have you covered.
Have questions about our contests and challenges on The Great Day? You’ve come to the right place.
Terms and Conditions
The Great Day Promotion begins on March 13, 2023 and concludes on April 26, 2023. Admitted students may enter to win scholarships by completing the given prompts and submitting the essay submission form. Scholarship entries must be submitted by April 19 at 11:59 p.m. Winners will be chosen by a committee of WVU staff. Winners will be notified on April 26, 2023 via email provided on essay application and the winner must respond within 24 hours to claim their prize. If the prize is unclaimed another person will be selected and the new winner and will be notified. Scholarships will be placed in the student’s financial aid package and other prizes won on social media throughout The Great Day will be distributed and picked up once the student is on campus in August 2023, but no later than August 18, 2023. Prizes not claimed after August 18, 2023 will be forfeited. Winners will receive email communication as to how and where to pick up prizes.