Background Image for Header:
Search Marketing Strategists Career
Employ search marketing tactics to increase visibility and engagement with content, products, or services in Internet-enabled devices or interfaces. Examine search query behaviors on general or specialty search engines or other Internet-based content. Analyze research, data, or technology to understand user intent and measure outcomes for ongoing optimization.
What Job Titles Search Marketing Strategists Might Have
- Director of Search Engine Optimization (Director of SEO)
- Ecommerce Marketing Manager
- Internet Marketing Specialist
- Senior Search Engine Optimization Specialist (Senior SEO Specialist)
What Search Marketing Strategists Do
- Collect and analyze Web metrics, such as visits, time on site, page views per visit, transaction volume and revenue, traffic mix, click-through rates, conversion rates, cost per acquisition, or cost per click.
- Identify appropriate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and report key metrics from digital campaigns.
- Assist in setting up or optimizing analytics tools for tracking visitors' behaviors.
- Coordinate with developers to optimize Web site architecture, server configuration, or page construction for search engine consumption and optimal visibility.
- Conduct online marketing initiatives, such as paid ad placement, affiliate programs, sponsorship programs, email promotions, or viral marketing campaigns on social media Web sites.
- Participate in the development or implementation of online marketing strategy.
- Improve search-related activities through ongoing analysis, experimentation, or optimization tests, using A/B or multivariate methods.
- Optimize digital assets, such as text, graphics, or multimedia assets, for search engine optimization (SEO) or for display and usability on internet-connected devices.
- Create content strategies for digital media.
- Manage tracking and reporting of search-related activities and provide analyses to marketing executives.
- Optimize Web site exposure by analyzing search engine patterns to direct online placement of keywords or other content.
- Combine secondary data sources with keyword research to more accurately profile and satisfy user intent.
- Communicate and collaborate with merchants, Webmasters, bloggers, or online editors to strategically place hyperlinks.
- Optimize shopping cart experience or Web site conversion rates against Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Evaluate new emerging media or technologies and make recommendations for their application within Internet marketing or search marketing campaigns.
- Collaborate with other marketing staff to integrate and complement marketing strategies across multiple sales channels.
- Execute or manage social media campaigns to inform search marketing tactics.
- Propose online or multiple-sales-channel campaigns to marketing executives.
- Conduct market research analysis to identify search query trends, real-time search and news media activity, popular social media topics, electronic commerce trends, market opportunities, or competitor performance.
- Purchase or negotiate placement of listings in local search engines, directories, or digital mapping technologies.
- Conduct financial modeling for online marketing programs or Web site revenue forecasting.
- Execute or manage banner, video, or other non-text link ad campaigns.
- Execute and manage communications with digital journalists or bloggers.
- Coordinate sales or other promotional strategies with merchandising, operations, or inventory control staff to ensure product catalogs are current, accurate, and organized for best findability against user intent.
- Define product requirements, based on market research analysis, in collaboration with user interface design and engineering staff.
- Collaborate with web, multimedia, or art design staffs to create multimedia Web sites or other internet content that conforms to brand and company visual format.
- Assist in the evaluation or negotiation of contracts with vendors or online partners.
- Implement online customer service processes to ensure positive and consistent user experiences.
- Resolve product availability problems in collaboration with customer service staff.
- Develop transactional Web applications, using Web programming software and knowledge of programming languages, such as hypertext markup language (HTML) and extensible markup language (XML).
- Prepare electronic commerce designs or prototypes, such as storyboards, mock-ups, or other content, using graphics design software.
What Search Marketing Strategists Should Be Good At
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Fluency of Ideas - The ability to come up with a number of ideas about a topic (the number of ideas is important, not their quality, correctness, or creativity).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
- Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Search Marketing Strategists Should Be Interested In
- Investigative - Investigative occupations frequently involve working with ideas, and require an extensive amount of thinking. These occupations can involve searching for facts and figuring out problems mentally.
What Search Marketing Strategists Need to Learn
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.