Keep track of important dates and deadlines leading up to your first semester at WVU.
This timeline is for first-time freshmen with a fall term start; spring students are encouraged to contact their WVU Admissions Counselor for assistance.
- August 1 - First-time Freshman Application Opens
Apply using the WVU application or the Common Application.
Admissions decisions will process beginning August 15.
- Schedule a Visit to WVU
In-person, virtual and self-guided options are available through our Visitors Center, and open house dates are scheduled in the fall and spring.
- October 1 - Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- October 1 - Promise Scholarship application available to West Virginia residents.
- October 3 - Housing applications and selection is available to admits that have paid the academic deposit.
- Check your WVU Portal and MIX email frequently for important financial aid and merit scholarship details.
- November 1 - Math placement details will be sent via your MIX email if testing is required.
- Connect with your Admissions Counselor and sign up for a one-on-one appointment.
- February - Adventure WV First-Year Trips registration opens. Consider registering!
- March 1 - FAFSA priority deadline for WVU and West Virginia Promise Scholarship.
- Mid-March: New Student Orientation details are sent to admits who have paid the academic deposit.
- May 1 - Priority date to submit the academic deposit.
- May 1 - Last day to cancel your attendance and receive a full refund of the academic deposit and partial refund of the housing deposit.
- Mid-May - Tuition Payment Plan is available for the fall semester.
- June 1 - Deadline to be admitted for central merit scholarship eligibility; earlier deadlines may apply for select awards.
- June 1 - Last day to submit updated GPA or test scores for merit review.
- June 1 - Student Insurance Waiver and immunization documentation is available.
- June - New Student Orientation takes place throughout the month.
- June - Dining plans available for selection.
- First week of July - Fall charges are applied to your bill and available in WVU MyAccount via your WVU Portal.
- Watch your MIX email for details about signing up for your residence hall move-in time.
- August 10-12 - Residence hall move-in. Time slots for all residence halls will be available each day.
- August 16 - First day of fall 2023 classes.
We're here to help every step of the way.
Have questions about your next steps? Or about submitting your deposit? Your WVU admissions counselor is an expert on these topics (and many more, so ask them anything!). And it’s literally their job to chat with you! Reach out to them any time.
Student Call Center
No one knows us like our students! Our student ambassadors have been in your shoes. They know what it’s like starting this gold-and-blue journey packed with possibilities. Talk with them about whatever you’d like — student life, living on campus, getting involved, making friends, Mountaineer traditions, etc.
Office of Admissions
Our Admissions staff can assist with any questions or issues you encounter as you continue the steps to enroll. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (except for University holidays). Call us at 304-293-2121 or fill out our contact form.