Skip to main content
A-Z IndexCalendarsDirectoryMapsShop

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email us at

Am I required to complete Virtual NSO?

ALL incoming first-time freshman (undergraduate) students for fall 2022 must complete the Virtual NSO online program in order to receive a class schedule.

International students should also refer to the International Students and Scholars New Student On-Boarding page for more information about pre-arrival and on-campus orientation programs.

Transfer students should contact their adviser at any time to schedule first semester classes and check Transfer Orientation for information about their NSO program.

Can I meet with my adviser in person?

No. All advising appointments will take place virtually after a student completes the online modules.

Can parents participate in Virtual NSO?

Yes, our NSO modules will allow parents/guests to access the platform so that they can learn more about their student’s enrollment at WVU. Guests should use guest login option to access the site. Our Mountaineer Parents Club also plays a large role in our orientation experience for families.

Do I need to submit Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) or dual enrollment courses prior to my advising appointments?

If you completed AP, IB or dual enrollment coursework, you will need to submit an official score report or transcript prior to your appointments. Students may submit an official PDF copy of the AP or IB transcript by emailing to, or by requesting that the testing center submit the score report. If you have dual enrollment from an institution other than WVU, official transcripts must come directly from the institution. View more details about how to submit official transcripts. Please note that score reports and transcripts from testing centers or institutions may take several weeks to receive and process from the date sent.

Do I need to take the ALEKS math assessment?

If your expressed major is one that requires a testing assessment for either direct admission or placement into math or science coursework, then you will need to take ALEKS. This is something you should have been receiving communication from us about, but if you need additional clarification or information visit

Does New Student Orientation have a fee associated with it?

The Office of New Student Orientation charges a one-time fee of $150. This fee is assessed on the student's first tuition bill. This fee is used to cover all operational costs associated with NSO.

How can I get my student ID?

If you're a new WVU Morgantown student and haven't submitted a photo for your Mountaineer Card, please do so as soon as possible. Go to and walk through the process step by step.

If you are attending Destination WVU, you will be able to pick up your ID there. Otherwise, if you are living in a residence hall, you can pick your ID card up upon move-in. If you are not living on campus, you can pick up ID cards at the ITS Service Center in the Mountainlair, which is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How can I see my residence hall room?

We have virtual tours of our residence halls. You can browse through to see what rooms and facilities are like in each hall. Floor plans and room dimensions can be found on residence hall web pages. You can also see your residence hall if you attend Destination WVU in June.

How can I submit outside scholarships and 529 college savings plan payments to WVU?

Please visit our Payments page for full instructions on how to mail scholarship checks or 529 checks to our office. All personal check payments should be made through STAR via the student's WVU Portal. Please note: Due to reduced mail pickups and drop-offs at this time, anything sent to the Hub may be delayed.

For questions about your 529 plan, please contact the provider of the 529.

How do I ensure that I can register for NSO and receive details regarding the virtual event?

Students must first pay the academic deposit to be eligible to register for NSO. Any student with an academic deposit on file will receive information to their WVU email account (MIX) regarding NSO.

How do I know who my adviser is so I can register for classes?

After you complete the online modules, you will receive an email within approximately 24 hours indicating how you can move forward with getting an advising appointment.

How do I prepare for my advising appointment?

Students should explore the following prior to their advising appointments:

How do I register for Destination WVU?

You will receive an invitation to register for Destination WVU once you are registered for Virtual NSO.

How do I register for New Student Orientation (NSO)?

You may register for New Student Orientation (NSO) using your WVU credentials. You can find your WVU credentials in your admit letter or you can reset your password at

How do I submit proof of health insurance and immunizations?

WVU students are required to have health insurance and will be automatically enrolled in the WVU Aetna student health insurance plan. If you already have health insurance that meets the minimum requirements, you can opt out of the WVU Aetna plan by completing the online student health insurance waiver at the Student Insurance Office website. You'll be asked to confirm that you've received the required immunizations as part of the waiver. If you won't be opting out of the WVU Aetna plan, complete the separate immunization questionnaire available on the Student Insurance Office website.

How long will the online NSO modules take to complete?

The mandatory content in the online modules should take around an hour and a half to complete. However, the modules link out to many additional resources that are available to help you engage and learn more about enrolling at WVU in the fall.

Is Destination WVU required?

No, Destination WVU is not a required event for your enrollment. However, incoming freshman students are encouraged to attend to get familiar with campus, meet classmates and learn more about the resources available to all Mountaineers.

Is NSO in-person this year?

Our “typical” NSO will not take place in person again this year. As the pandemic shifted things two years ago, we have found a more efficient way to run our orientation program. All academic onboarding will be completed virtually — students will complete a series of online modules and then will meet virtually with a professional adviser to schedule their fall courses. However, students will have the option to come to campus in June for an additional day of onboarding.

Related questions:

My account says that I have a hold. How do I get this lifted?

All incoming first-time freshman students have an orientation hold on their account. This hold is lifted within three days of completing the Virtual NSO modules and will be replaced with an advising hold. You will work with your adviser on any schedule changes. If you have other holds on your account (parking, transportation, student conduct or student accounts), you will need to work directly with the department placing the hold.

All transfer students have an advising hold on their account. Your academic adviser will assist you in scheduling courses and getting this hold lifted

Should parents attend the advising appointments?

Parents are discouraged from attending the advising appointments with their students. We want students to play an active role in planning their first academic semester and create a professional relationship with their academic adviser. We expect that following advising, students will be able to understand and articulate how each course applies to their degree.

What are the COVID-19 restrictions in place on campus?

You can find the most up to date information on WVU’s current COVID policies and restrictions by visiting our Return to Campus website.

What do I do if I have forgotten my WVU login information?

You can try to change your password by going to or you can call our ITS Service Desk at 304-293-4444

What do I do next for financial aid?

Financial aid is a process, and depending on your situation, this answer will be different for everyone. For additional help navigating your next steps, please visit our financial aid guide. The guide includes information about accepting your financial aid offer, providing verification, documenting any changes to income, and more.

What if I have more questions about financial aid?

Our virtual NSO modules will have a section devoted to cost, payment, and aid where we will answer commonly asked questions about the financial services available to WVU students. General questions can be directed to our chatbot, Morgan, 24 hours a day on the WVU Hub website or you can always contact our WVU Hub office.

What if I need to speak with Financial Aid?

Our virtual NSO modules will have a section devoted to cost, payment and aid where we will answer commonly asked questions about the student financial services available to WVU students. If you have specific questions, you are welcome to contact the WVU Hub office.

What if I want to change my major?

If you are considering a major change, please do so by contacting the Office of Admissions before completing the virtual NSO modules. Not sure what you want to study? Use Career Services' FOCUS2 exam to explore majors and career paths.

What is Destination WVU?

Destination WVU is an optional, in-person open house event that takes place during the weekdays throughout June. Students can register for a day to attend after they register for Virtual NSO. Destination WVU will help students meet other incoming students, discover all of their resources, explore campus and prepare for life at WVU.

Related questions:

When can I see my class schedule and adviser?

Students will first need to complete the NSO modules and meet with an academic adviser to schedule classes. Your academic adviser will go over the details of your schedule with you to make sure you understand it.

When do I have to complete the online modules?

Complete the online NSO modules as soon as possible. Log in at to access your modules.

When will I receive my bill and when is it due?

Fall bills will be due on August 1 for students who receive a July billing notice.

When will my veterans benefits be reflected on my student bill?

Qualifying students should start the certification process online through the Center for Veteran, Military and Family Programs. Select the benefit to access instructions and the list of documents needed to complete the process. Once the Veterans office has approved your benefits, they will send that information to our third-party coordinator to add to your account. This process can take several weeks.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my residence hall assignment?

Contact the Housing Assignments team at or 304-293-2811 to answer your questions about your assignment.